Friday 30 December 2011

Initial thoughts 4 - Gifts, decorations and cards


Another part of the challenge is gifts.  This past Christmas, I ventured into sewing, making my wife a cushion, and I thought that producing a range of homemade Christmas presents would be ideal.  My sister-in-law beat me to it this year, gifting us some delicious honey and spice nuts, apple jelly and some mincemeat, all the product of her own hands, so what I am going to attempt to do is learn various crafts and produce presents for my guests.

There will obviously be a cushion being made as there is no point in wasting the knowledge I already have, and edible gifts such as jam, chutney and preserved fruits will be involved as well.  Other things that I may venture into could be hot water bottle covers, biscuits, potted meats, candles, restored furniture, pot pourri… the list is endless and I’d welcome any home made gift ideas.  Email me here.

Christmas decorations are also needed to add to the festive cheer, so holly bushes, fir trees and pine cones are all things I will be marching into the countryside to halck down. I’ll also need a Christmas Tree and decorations so I feel that there may be some other skills I will need to aquire.    I’ll also need to make some Christmas cards, so I’ll be saving all this year’s that I have received to make sure I have some pictures to base my designs around. 

So these are all my initial thoughts.  A rough outline of what I need to do.  I’m taking tomorrow off from planning and on the first of January, I start planning properly and actually making things.