Monday 26 December 2011

The Challenge


I love watching Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s River Cottage television programmes, as I want to have his life.  I want to have a farm of my own, bomb around the countryside in an old Land Rover, keep animals for the slaughter, grow vegetables, forage from hedgerows and cook all of this lovely native produce in my big farmhouse kitchen.

The lives most of us have, make such an apparently idyllic existence impossible.  I have to work day to day running a wine shop so I can’t spend every day out in the countryside looking for wild food.  I do live in a picture postcard cottage overlooking the sea (the damp and lack of central heating is the pain for the pleasure of a nice view), but aside from a small, yard-wide strip of flowerbed in front of my house, I don’t have anywhere to plant veggies, so can’t grow anything.  I also doubt that my landlady would be too enamored with me if I dug up the Fuschia and put down some carrots, so growing in the flowerbed (aside from the odd herb)  is out too.  Even if I did have the space to raise some chickens and a pig, I wouldn’t know the slightest thing about looking after them and they would end up scrawny and tasteless.

I decided that, the furthest I could go towards self sufficiency was to try and find some free food when I went on my daily walk.

In the autumn of 2011, I decided to try and embrace a little of the free food life and ventured into foraging with some mixed results.  My triumphs included one harvest of chanterelle mushrooms from a place I found late in the season and the discovery of some damson trees that netted a bumper crop that I turned into delicious jam.  My foray into rosehips ended in disaster with my nighttime harvest turning out to be rotten, and a plum jam batch that didn’t have enough pectin and failed to set properly.  With this varied success, it is clear that I’m not overly skilled in the art of foraging and cooking, so it makes the challenge I have decided to set myself, all the more difficult…

A few days ago I went to a supermarket to buy a selection of things for Christmas.  Nothing fancy as I was not hosting a Christmas dinner, it was simply things like pickled onions, ingredients for a River Cottage Beetroot Tarte Tatin, lemonade… the usual paraphernalia that you get into the house for Christmas and rarely eat the rest of the year.  The bill came to £45 and that was simply for things that are accompaniments to the main Christmas dinner.  I realised, I’d just wasted the best part of fifty quid.

I then read that the British public spend, on average, one hundred and forty five pounds on Christmas dinner alone, and we waste one fifth of that.  We also spend, on average, over £500 on presents every year, resulting in a average bill for Christmas of nearly £650 per family.  I have decided that, for Christmas 2012, I will attempt to make a full Christmas feast for 12 people, for the value of the food thrown in the bin – thirty pounds – and provide presents for twenty pounds.

This will mean I have to hunt, find, grow (where? I still haven’t a clue), barter or make everything in a traditional Christmas Dinner and provide a present for each guest for a tenth of what the average family spends every Christmas.

This blog is my journey, through embryonic stages of research, attempting test recipes, learning new crafts and skills, meeting experts who can help me and, hopefully, to the end result – a stressful Christmas Day 2012 making the Christmas dinner that cost me nothing.  I hope you can join me on this journey.