Sunday 16 September 2012

Damson Gin - 2012 vintage

So after my bumper Damson harvest last year, that resulted in numerous jars of jam and a bottle of Damson Gin, I was hoping that I could repeat 2011's success.  Sadly a terrible spring has resulted in a lousy crop of Damsons from the trees in which I forage.  Also, the derelict buildings that I forage from the gardens of are being renovated so this would be the last harvest from these wonderful old trees.

Instead of the two plastic bags full that I got last year, I got two handfuls of damsons from this years crop - not enough to make one jar of jam, so I decided to repeat last year's success of a bottle of Damson Gin.

It's pretty easy to make Damson Gin, you chuck a bundle of damsons into a two thirds full bottle of gin, then add a bit of sugar syrup (2 parts sugar to 3 parts boiling water and allowed to cool) and then all you need to do is wait.  Give it time to infuse.

If you are making some in the Autumn, it will be ready by Christmas, but the longer you leave it, the better.  My 2011 vintage is delicious when mixed with some tonic water.
Freshly Made
After a year