Wednesday 4 January 2012

Pre-Christmas Leftovers - Chicken stock


Using up leftovers at Christmas time is something everyone does.  The Turkey Curry/Chilli/Sandwich arrangement is something that everyone either enjoys or tolerates for the days following the big day.  After having a roast chicken on New Year’s Day, I realised that I could include things within the Christmas feast that would be utilising waste food from meals on the lead up to Christmas.  Instead of making things out of Christmas leftovers, making Christmas things from leftovers.

The most obvious starting place was stock – something I’ve never bothered making, and just bought good pre-made stuff.  Sure, a box of stock cubes don’t cost a lot, but with a £30 budget, it works out as a large percentage of my permitted money. I realised that if I have a roast chicken or beef joint in the couple of months before Christmas, I could make some stock out of the bones or carcass, and then freeze it to use at Christmas.  So, I decided to give it a shot with my roast chicken. 

I threw a the carcass, some leftover raw parsnips, some herbs (rosemary & thyme) a few cloves of garlic and a potato (I had it, and thought ‘why not’) and some peppercorns into a pan, three litres of water and turned on the heat.

I brought it to a boil, skimmed some scummy looking stuff off the top of the liquid and then turned down the heat.  Leaving it for four hours, skimming anymore scum that formed on the top when I saw it and then passed it all through a sieve. 

The stock tasted ok – it wasn’t fantastic, but I didn’t have a lot of ingredients to add flavour.  It was a bit watery and had a slightly oily element to it and I feel as though with more reduction, it certainly could be better.

So my first exploration into stock failed, but it gave me the notion that I’m going to have to explore using leftovers more.  I could confit meats that I don’t use, and if I shoot animals in the months prior to Christmas, I could preserve the meat I don't use from them.  Stuffing could be made out of leftover sausages that I’ve not eaten, and if I can master stock, it could be the basis for a soup for a starter. 

Bread is another thing that we all throw out, but I’ve discovered a fantastic way of producing a tray bake that uses old bread – sure, its not part of a Christmas feast, but with the right spices and it could be very Christmassy and be added to the festive table – maybe even as something for breakfast on Christmas morning!  I’m making it tonight and will let you know how it goes tomorrow!